Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Frostbite

Today it was cold. I mean really, really cold. When I checked the weather before taking the kids to gymnastics the reports said it felt like -11 degrees. That's really, really cold. After gymnastics Colin wanted to play outside. After a battle of "whys" and "hows" I finally explained to him the process of frostbite. I did not want to have to go that far, but my mommy brain can only function for so long before I just throw in the towel. Had I turned around to look at Colin's face while I was explaining this to him in the car, I am certain that I would have seen the most horrified look. I know because I saw that look about two minutes after we walked through the door.

(Okay, so this picture has nothing to do with what happened today. This is actually on Colin's last day of Pre-K. He cried and cried and cried. The teachers called me to warn me before I picked him up that he had been crying all morning. I had to take pictures of him with all of his favorite toys. He was going to miss Pre-K and did not want to leave. Someday I will remind him that he cried everyday I TOOK HIM TO PRE-K. He left a hole in my heart every time I dropped him off. So on the last day, he decided he did not want to leave. Can you tell that he can be a bit overly dramatic?)

Back to the story....Scooby wanted outside so naturally I let her out. Colin went running to the door calling for her and crying. I couldn't figure out what was going on. Then it clicked. He thought Scooby was going to have her extremities frozen off from frostbite. Why oh why did I have to lose my patience on that subject? I'll probably never convince Colin that is is safe to go outside in the cold.

On another great note, Colin told me tonight that he was so thankful that I was his mom. He said he loved me and that I was the best mom ever. This was totally unprompted so I thought it was really sweet. He went on to say how much he loved daddy too. I was waiting for him to say something about Camden but it never happened. So I asked him if he was thankful for Camden. He told me, "I'll have to think about that." Ah, brotherly love. I mean, who wouldn't love this sweet little kid?

3 comments:

  1. "I'll have to think about that." Hahaha, I love the honesty of kids.

    And BRRRRR! That's so cold! We're still waiting to hear about our orders - should find out tomorrow or Friday - and we're hoping to come back to Colorado, but I have a feeling if we return we'll be freezing our buns off. Today it was 78 degrees out here! That'll be a huge climate adjustment for us.

    Glad to see you've got a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one! I didn't get the opportunity. Mine had to learn the hard way. She came in and dumped her backpack in her room and went back out to play. I quickly grabbed my coat to go after her. She had already picked up a piece of ice and was carrying her gloves in her other hand. Not one minute after I convinced her to put the ice down, she was screaming and crying that her hand hurt. After soaking it in cold tap water for several minutes, she finally stopped wailing. It's only -10 wind chill here. You can have Cam call her and ask her what it was like to nearly get frost bite in less than 10 minutes outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I meant Colin can call her...

    ReplyDelete