Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Remember





On this day 11 years ago, I was in a building full of students. I had just finished checking the classrooms that morning and was in my office working on paperwork listening to the radio. Then the news broke. My husband, brother and parents were all at different airports that day. I have never been so scared for my family in my life. It took me three hours to get a hold of Steve. I sat in my office and sobbed. He had managed to get out of the airport and contact his driver before the mayhem started at Chicago International.

It was so difficult to be at school that day and explain to the older students what was happening while trying to shield the younger students from the news. It was hard to breath. Just to put one foot in front of the other. I don't have any connection to anyone that died or was injured in 9-11. But I am an American; we are all connected. I will never forget. We are still feeling the effects of this horrible day. But as Americans, we will do what we do best. We will rally together (even if only for only one day during this political season) and we will pray, send out good vibes, direct  healing thoughts, guide the good mojo....whatever we do, towards helping and healing those that had family and friends that perished on that tragic day.

As for me, today I pray that our Nation can heal from this horrible violence and hatred. We all know that we have not healed. We feel the effects of this event everyday. We see the prices at the gas pump, we hear of others losing their jobs, we see others stare and glare towards those that look different than typical Americans.

Today, instead of cutting that person off in the school drive line, instead of being impatient with your kids, rather than mutter under your breath at the cashier, look someone in the eye and say "Hello". Ask someone how they are doing today and really really mean it. Spend some extra time laughing with you kids. Call a family member that you have not spoken to in weeks or months. Life is precious my friends. It can all end in a blink of an eye. Cherish those moments and remember the sense of urgency you felt 11 years ago. Reach out to others as if today is your last day here on earth. At least you were given that chance. The 3,000 people that died on September 11, 2001 were not given that chance. Live for them today.

No comments:

Post a Comment