Thursday, January 13, 2011

Self Fulfilling Prophecy

I know I jinxed myself last night. After a "not so stellar" day with Cam, I figured that today might be even harder. He's been tired, cranky and overall not listening very well the last few days. I mentioned to Steve last night that I thought today was going to be a rough day with him. Before Cam went to bed last night he was already complaining that the did not want to go to gymnastics or to volunteer at Colin's school today.

Guess what? He's been sent to his room twice this morning. I have been uber patient with him so I don't think it's me being too hard on him. He got sent to time out by his by his gymnastics instructor. He cried all the way home because he asked to eat lunch on the couch and I told him no. Eating lunch on the couch is not common practice in our house. They get to eat on the couch on Fridays for "Family Fun Night". That's it. Why he thought he would be allowed today, it's beyond me. But he had it in his head that he wanted to eat on the couch. Oh the despair when I told him no.

Right now he is on the couch crying, watching Diego. I figured 30 minutes of mind vegging would do him (and me) some good. Tonight will be an early bed time for sure. If he wasn't already on antibiotics, I would say that he was going to wake up sick tomorrow.

Breath in. Breath out. These are the types of days where I dread that Steve comes home late. These are the types of days where I wonder if Cam can handle full day Kindergarten next year. These are the types of days when I question why God gave me a strong willed child.

These are also the days when I see that Cam can stand on his own two feet. These are the days when I know that he needs me the most. These are the days when I am thankful that we have set a foundation of rules and expectations for our kids. Two steps forward. One step back. But, still progress. Tomorrow will be a better day.

2 comments:

  1. All I can say is I understand. Reading your blog posts is like living a day in my life. I have a friend who says to me "Being a mom sure looks alot better in the brochure."

    Isn't that the truth.

    Hugs from KS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa. It's nice to know that I am not alone in figuring out this whole parenting thing.

    ReplyDelete