Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ten on Tuesday

Not much going on this week but I'll try my best to be witty and funny.

1. Camden received a good report on his K- readiness conference yesterday. I was not too surprised that he "passed" things like, "can count to 20, identifies most A,B,C's, socializes with peers...". The only part he failed, skipping. Huh, my 5 year old boy can't skip. A little strange but then I though about it. In what instance have I ever asked him (or taught him) to skip? Nope, we went straight from walking to riding a skate board and BMX biking. I guess it's okay that he can not skip.

2. I am almost done filing my paperwork for my substitute teaching license in Colorado. It only took 4 hours last week and some dissection of the directions, but I am almost finished. Right now I am perplexed on how to fit a 5 digit number in a 6 digit spot. I think I will call the CDE on that one but I have a feeling I won't get much insight.

3. I don't splurge very often on myself. This summer I bought a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. They cost way more than my usual Target purchases. But I have found that I just can not wear sunglasses. They give me an extreme headache if I wear them for more than 10 minutes. Maui Jim's are frame less, bendable and lightweight. I love love love them. Then they broke. I reached in my sunglasses case in my purse and pulled them out in two pieces. Ugh. I have no idea why I did not keep my receipt. I have the case, the warranty info, the cleaning cloth, the instructions...Why in the world did I throw away the receipt? Well, they say that regardless they *might* repair them under warranty. I guess we'll see.

4. Colin seems to have made a turn around this week. He's not fretting too much about school. I am really trying to pinpoint his anxiety issues but they are not consistent. All I can determine is that he gets anxious at transitions. I know that's a pretty normal thing for younger kids. But at age 6 (almost 7) it seems that he should have outgrown this.

5. I am at gymnastics with Cam. At the moment I am surrounded by all these moms that have babies. They are crowding my space. There are 4 tables set up and bleachers. Every single mom with a baby has asked me to move over so that they can put their baby carrier in the table where I am working. I don't mind sharing, but you are not entitled just because you have a baby. All the other tables are exactly the same as the table that I am at. I am at the middle table. I'm not even at the most convenient table for "holding babies". What gives? All you pretty, well dressed, perfectly manicured moms with new babies, get another table.

6. Cam woke up yesterday with a "poppy crackly ear". I took a look in his ears and sure enough, his ear was red. Not on fire, but red. I couldn't fathom putting him on another antibiotic (he's been on two in the last month). So I headed over to Vitamin Cottage and got some garlic ear drops for kids. They contain a lot of other natural ingredients but garlic is the largest component. Man, did it smell like garlic! Cam was so stuffy that he could not even smell it. I'm glad because if he had, he would have refused. Miracle of miracles, he woke up this morning and said his ears felt normal. Yeah yeah yeah for natural remedies!

7. I took a shower and got dressed today all by myself! I know that sounds silly but it's actually something to celebrate.

8. Camism: Mom, every time I draw I try to be more creative and use my imagination. Some day I will be a famous artist like Grandma Silva. :-)

9. Our living room looks like the the Lego store exploded. There are literally Legos covering every square inch of the floor. It drives me crazy (and Steve crazier) but I have to leave them out. Colin plays with them every day after school. He has gotten Camden engaged so Cam will now sit on the floor (while Colin is at school) and build for hours. If I put them away, it will all be over. I keep thinking that I could rearrange to playroom so they could spread them out there. But, in just a few years the kids will not want anything to do with us. (Or so I've been told by parents of older kids.) Do I really want to move them into another room? At least I get to interact with them while I am in the kitchen cooking or cleaning. I go back to that "don't let you kid have a computer in their room" rule. I know that applies specifically to when they are older, but why would I isolate them now?

10. I think I've rambled enough. Have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE that Cam thinks Grandma Silva is a famous artist. Ki couldn't skip either. She couldn't skip in Kindergarten until almost the end of the school year. I had no idea they would test on skipping in school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave the Legos out. Play while they will still play with you. Draw and display your masterpieces. And people who come over and don't approve, obviously never had kids. And if they did, then they didn't enjoy them enough. :)

    And I empathize with you about the anxiety issue. Been a huge deal in my life for the past year. Just today I finally said to someone that I think my happy child is returning to me.

    In our case, I think it is a combination of medication and leveling out hormones. Landon is 11 and anxiety hit him hard last year around second semester. This year first semester was miserable. Lots of visits to the school by me.

    But now that he has been on meds for about 5 months (gradually getting up to the right dose), he is finally able to enjoy things again. Hooray!

    We didn'd do medicine first. We did alot of counseling and talking, but finally got to the point that he couldn't even see through the anxiety.

    And just FYI, my Landon is the best kid ever. He is sweet, nice, smart, talented and considerate. So I was super surprised that he is the one who got the anxiety gene. Thanks to my mom!

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cyndi, I think skipping is a lost art. Like knowing how to dial a rotary phone. :-)

    Lisa, the nice thing about my house, the front door is very around the corner from the family room. Since the formal front room never gets used, people that knock on my front door (but don't come in) think I am an immaculate housekeeper. I almost giggle when I shut to door. However, if they came around the corner, they would have to clear a Lego path just to walk. It's chaos, but it's how we live.
    The hardest part about Colin's anxiety is that I don't really know what sets it off. You wouldn't think that going swimming would set off anxiety. I think the general basis is transitions but it's not all transitions. I have a long list of books to read and a few friends that have been down this road to talk with. I am so glad that Landon is on the right track now. I have kept up with your FB posts and have often thought that Colin and Landon sound a lot alike. Colin is a great kid. He's honest, kind and caring. He's great at academics but feels out of place at school. I have a lot of work to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do the boys still play with the train table? If not, perhaps that could be the Lego building table?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I think we will clear out the playroom and bring the train table up from the basement. I got some really cool ideas from a friend yesterday on how to store the Legos in a "cleaner" way. Now all I need is the time to put this plan into motion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe the train table could even be resurfaced with Lego plates?

    ReplyDelete