Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Those Were the Days

Remember the days when you used to be able to to a long hot shower every morning? All by yourself? Without being interrupted by dire emergency? And by emergency I mean someone can't get a Lego apart. Someone needs their milk refilled. Someone can't find their favorite shirt in the closet (because they never actually put it in the dirty clothes basket to begin with). Someone can't get the toothpaste out of the container.

It seems that every morning is the same. I just get in the shower or just get out of the shower and am greeted by a small person needing something. I tell them I am going upstairs to take a shower. Two minutes later, they decided that it is the EXACT moment that they desperately need something. Huh, sorry about your luck kiddos. Can't help you right now.

It is a rare occasion that I can shower AND get dressed without a small person walking in on me. I close my bedroom door. I have not gone as far as to lock it. Our master bathroom is "open concept" and does not have a door. The best I can do is shower fast and have my clothes ready for me when I get out. Now, some of you are wondering why I wouldn't just take my time and let me kids deal with their issues. It's because my kids have this weird habit of hanging out wherever I am. It's unnerving.

We have four bedrooms, a playroom, a family room, a formal room and a finished basement. Nope, all that space just won't do. Often times the boys can be seen sitting at my feet playing legos while I am working. By work, I actually mean work. I have a part-time job (usually from home) and I can work some while the kids are playing. But they can't seem to be in a different room for very long. Last night I even moved upstairs to our bedroom to work. Nope, here come two kids with their new models.

Yesterday, I was trying to make dinner. Guess it was a good time to play with bouncy balls on the kitchen floor. And, if I am showering that is a wonderful opportunity for the boys to pretend they are taking a bath in the soaker tub and get out all of their bath toys. Funny thing is, most nights they complain about having to take a bath.

So, there I stand, in the shower with two boys waiting desperately for me to get out and get on with my day.

This brings me to my first option for a New Year's Resolution. Shower as little as possible in 2011. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. You had me laughing out loud! I feel ya! It's the same around here, I just don't shower and am always a mess until Clay gets home, and then I lock myself in the bedroom and threaten him if he lets the kids near me for the next 30 mins. Or, if I feel I need to shower for some event that day, I put up the baby gate at the bathroom entry, ours is open too, and at least I have a space buffer that way. Ahh, the joys of parenting, wouldn't trade it for the world.

    ReplyDelete