Sunday, January 30, 2011

Pinewood Derby

Colin had his Boyscouts Pinewood Derby race yesterday. Although it was not really a life changing moment for us, it was a lot of fun. Colin specifically designed his car to win "Best of Show". He didn't win, but he did get 2nd Place in the race. I was surprised since Steve kept telling me that he was not going to put too much energy into helping Colin make his car fast, just good looking.


I think his car turned our great. In the end, Steve admitted that he did research the proper placement of the weights to make the car go faster.

Did I mention that through this whole process Steve broke his thumb? Yep. A few weeks ago he was helping Colin cut the wood to shape. I can't exactly explain what happened, but the wood shot out from under the chop saw, hit Steve's thumb and broke his knuckle. Do you think he went to the Dr.? Nope. Three weeks later he still can't bend his thumb. I'm glad it hit Steve and not Colin but still, a husband that can't open a jar of spaghetti sauce?

Camden took first place in the "Open Class" division. He was very proud of himself. He smiled every time his name was called. I really think he was more excited than Colin.


As you can tell, some of these kids had an immense amount of help. The rules state that the kids are supposed to do the majority of the work. Steve didn't help Colin or Cam with any of the painting. Although he did draw the melting snowman for Camden. Here you can see Cam's car compare with some others. The blue car on the right was clearly made by a dad and not a kid.

From the picture below, I'm pretty sure that a 6 year old did not paint the camouflage on the second car from the right. I like the cheese car and it looks mainly "kid made".


After the Pinewood Derby, Steve took the boys over to the park. It was a gorgeous day. After today, the temperature is going to drop to the single digits and we will be in a deep freeze for a few days. Camden enjoyed the park, but spent the rest of the day half asleep, half awake on the couch. His temperature is gone but he was just worn out.

We'll take it easy today. I think Cam will be ready to go back to school tomorrow (a whole 2 and a half hours) but I am sure he will be tired when he gets home. It's so unlike him to settle onto the couch for a few hours at a time but his body needs rest and I enjoy the extra time to snuggle with him.

Yesterday at the health food store, I picked up some extra vitamins for both kids. I got a "super greens" chewable. I know that the boys do not eat many (if any) green vegetables. They'll eat green bean and peas but that is the extent of their palate. I am figuring that a little boost can't hurt.

1 comment:

  1. Will they drink smoothies? Johnny's favorite is a frozen banana, 1/2 c. vanilla yogurt, a handful of blueberries, and 2 c. spinach. It's dark purplish green , so he calls it "Shrek's slime". You really can't taste the spinach. Great way to get the green leafies into them!

    ReplyDelete