Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly - The First Day of School

Today is the first day of school for my boys in Kansas. They did a little bit of grunching and complaining about not wanting to go to school, but they would have done that no matter where we lived. Let's face it, they have the most fun mom in the entire world and they want to spend days on end with me at home because I am so fabulous. No. Not really. They wanted to play video games and watch tv all day.

So, after eating breakfast and requesting that the kids go in and put on school clothes, Colin comes out with his 1st grade tie dyed shirt. This may not seem like a big deal to anyone else but me. I know why he chose that shirt. I didn't say a word for fear that we would both end up in sobbing tears before the morning was over. To be honest, I was surprised that Cam did not go back into his closet and grab the same shirt.

Somehow, even though we were all up by 7am and school didn't start until 8:35, we were still late. We couldn't find a parking spot, didn't really know where we were allowed to park and didn't realize that we had to sign in at the office to walk the kids into school.

I had told the kids that I would meet them after school at the front bench but then realized that the paperwork I filled out before school began practically screamed at me that if the kids were going home any other way than the one way indicated, that I had to write a note to the teacher (no email, no phone call...a handwritten note). I put them down as "car riders" on their forms because I am hoping at some point that they will use the drive line. Until we are used to things, I will be walking up to the building to get them so it just dawned on me that I should have put "walkers" instead. This is not a school that bends the rules. Great. We had just discussed what "after school" would look like for them. I know their teacher is not going to let them do what we discussed. As we walked into Colin's class, the pledge started. Super. He was nervous at his desk, didn't understand the directions on his morning page (even though they were very simple). I could tell by the catch in his breath that he was two seconds away from panic. I read the directions, gave him a quick run down of "do whatever your teacher tells you after school and I will just come and find you", a kiss on the cheek and I was out.

Cam's turn...we walked into a silent classroom with the teacher giving instructions. No, not the teacher. The sub he will have until at least Monday because the teacher had a family emergency. We haven't met the teacher yet. Cam was the last kid in class. I knew walking in there that he was not going to have time to finish his color page since we were late. I know the ripple effect that not finishing his color page is going to have on him.

A quick kiss and hug as the panic look set in on his face too.

I hated leaving my boys like this today. Mindless errands are going to fill my day until 3:00pm upon which I am going to arrive ridiculously early at school for the 3:40pm dismissal. Only 5 more hours to go.

This picture pretty much sums everything up. While everyone else in the world is posting the most adorable pictures of their smiling sweet children on their first day of school, here are my boys. "Nervous, anxious, tired, grumpy, late to the first day of school boys".

No comments:

Post a Comment