Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Merry Christmas Was Had By All

Without a doubt everyone in the Silva house had a Merry Christmas. Colin awoke at 11:00pm, 1:30am, 3:30am and was up for the day at 5:30am. All of our gifts were unwrapped by 6:30am and we were done with breakfast too. It was a very early morning and things were in such a state of chaos and hurry (from the kids) that I didn't even get the traditional photo of both kids sitting in front of the Christmas tree surrounded by presents. I had to settle for individual pictures of the kids.


Both kids got a DSi XL from Santa. They have been played a lot in the last few days but I am sure the newness will wear off at some point in the next few weeks. Colin informed me that he was the only kid in his class that had a DS on their Christmas list because EVERYONE else in the class already had one. My poor deprived child. Somehow I doubt that every kid in the class already has one and he has so many other toys it is ridiculous. Next year I need to remember some sage advice from a friend; "SIMPLICITY".


Needless to say, we all had fun but I am glad the holiday is over. I came down with a bad cold and Christmas day and the day after seemed to be the worst of the cold. That is, until I woke up and could not open my eye.

Yes folks, eye infections are not just for kids anymore. Yes, this is me in all my eye infection glory. I know I look hideous. The kids would not look at me. I told them that the next time they had pink eye that they needed to let me put eye drops in without complaining or they would turn out to look like this. To be honest though, when I went to bed that night I was fine. I woke up in the morning and my eye was swollen shut. Very nice.


Both kids have had pink eye in the last month. Colin got pink eye back after two weeks and Cam ended up with a sinus infection which produced an eye infection. We were a sad looking family for a few days. And by sad I mean that no one would have wanted to come near us.

I missed Christmas Mass and did not do much of the cooking Christmas Day. Steve took over with the kids and mom muddled her way through the kitchen. Dad even pitched when he was needed. For some reason that meal tasted fantastic! It must have something to do with letting everyone else cook for me.


Roxanna, Ron, Jenni, Larissa and Nathanael came to CO on Monday from KS. Although I was still not feeling well, it was nice to have them around. Of course the boys are quite smitten with Nathanael. Any "big kid" that will play video games, nerf guns and run around in the backyard is a big hit in their book. Colin looked longingly at the picture of the two of them that was taken at Chuckee Cheese and stated that he missed him already. They had to leave early due to a snow storm coming our way. Said snow storm dumped and entire 1/2 inch of snow in our yard. I hope there is more to come or I am going to have some really disappointed boys.


The boys went out to play in the snow and managed to stay outside for almost an hour. Now you might think that would mean that I could get some things done or have time to relax. If you think that, then you don't have kids. Or boys. Or live in Colorado. About every two minutes the boys were at the door because they needed something. A Tupperware container, a spoon, a snow shovel, mitten adjusted, hat adjusted, spray bottles..... I pretty much ran up and down the stairs between folding laundry and sat by the back door as they played.

And so things are nearly back to normal. I'm just a little bit sick. Steve is feeling rotten now. The Christmas decorations are still up and will probably stay up until the kids go back to school some time in the next month. Seriously. They are out of school until Jan. 4th or 5th. But you know what, I'll take it. I really am enjoying my time with them. Just us hanging out. Camden keeps crawling up in my lap and saying, "Mommy, you are so soft." I am hoping he is referring to the constant state of fleece that I have worn the past few days and not the constant state of chocolate that I have eaten over the last few days.

Oh, and one more thing. Our garage door broke. We get to spend a grand getting that replaced today. So to recap. We spent a boatload on the cat. We spent a boatload on Christmas gifts. We get to spent a boatload on a new garage door. I am sick. Steve is sick. Camden is sick. Colin was so cranky yesterday that he took a two hour nap. We were supposed to get 8-10 inches of snow so my family left a day early. We have half an inch.

I feel like I am in a very bad version of a Christmas movie gone wrong. Maybe I need to to make a New Year's Resolution to lower my expectations for next Christmas. Bah Hum Bug. Bet you never thought you'd hear me say that.

No comments:

Post a Comment