Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Banana Bread as a Rain Catcher

This morning I decided to bake some banana bread before my dad headed up to Estes Park. There's something comforting about sending your nearly 70 year old dad up into the mountains with a warm loaf of banana bread. Maybe he could use it to fend of the bears. Maybe he could use it as a tire stop if the rv broke down. Or in this case, he could use it to catch rain if he got lost in the woods and needed water. What started out as a perfectly normal banana bread, turned into the Grand Canyon within 10 minutes of being out of the oven. As you can see, it was not enough to stop me from "testing" a small hunk. Delicious! But the middle always falls. I tried to adjust the recipe for high altitude. The thing is, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've heard others say that the weather messes with their baking (something about high pressure, low pressure, barometer, etc...)


All I know is that I added 6 Tbl. flour and 1/2 an egg and took out 2 Tbl. of sugar. That's what I do with all of my sweet bread recipes. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.


Oh, and last week I made chocolate chip cookies that tasted oh so yummy but were flatter than a pancake.


Does anyone out there have any tried and true high altitude baking recipes? I don't have time to experiment and get it right. I'm all about learning from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment