Sunday, April 17, 2011

Easter Eggs and Jesus

Today we went to the Erie Easter egg hunt in the park. It's a tradition that we have done every year since we moved here. It's a great way to see friends and neighbors from the town. It takes 15 minutes from start to finish. I'm sure that the folks from the Erie Optimist Club spend hours ahead of time setting things up. Not to mention days and days of filling Easter eggs. What I really love about my kids is that they are always asking questions. Sometimes those questions only come in the form of, "Mom can you do xyz...?" However, often they ask questions about their faith. Today after church and the Easter egg hunt, they asked many questions. Their questions were easy but I couldn't answer some of them (thank goodness for Google). "Mom, who were the two men that died with Jesus when he was crucified?" That's a pretty easy question, but I didn't know the answer.



Do you know the answer? Dismas and Gestas. Who knew? They were two robbers that were put to death at the same time that Jesus was crucified.



Next question, "Who was the man that helped Jesus carry the cross when he fell?" Answer, Simon. That one I knew. But the questions kept coming.

My kids always keep me reflecting on my faith. I always battle with Christian holidays in the secular and in the faithful. However, I take every opportunity to use those teachable moments to remind the boys why those Christian holiday exist.


The most important thing for me is to spend these holidays with my family. Whether that means just my small family of four or grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins...it does not matter. Just as long as we are with family enjoying the day and sharing our faith together, I think that's what means the most to my kids. Yes, they love gifts and candy. But when Steve and I sit down and play a board game with them or snuggle up to read a book, they eat it up. These are the things they remember.


So, that's why we go to the Easter egg hunt every year. It's time spent as a family. This year the boys asked if we were going to the Easter egg hunt because it has become a family tradition. Those were their words. "A family tradition". That warmed my heart. This is something that the boys look forward to every year. They look forward to spending time with their mom and dad. Wonder how long that will last?


The other day Colin told me that God and Jesus were his #1. Wonder how long that will last? I hope it lasts forever.

1 comment:

  1. Dismas and Gestas were my top picks for a boys name until Gary was all, "Hello! Angie! Don't you remember...?" So we had to go with Brody.

    (No. I didn't even know they had names. Cool!)

    Your boys are so sweet, Traci. I love your family. And how did I not know about the hunt today? Do I live under a rock? Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete