Sunday, February 20, 2011

Cleaning is Good for the Soul

I know, I'm a bizarre person. I get anxious when the house gets messy. After being stuck inside with Camden for 3 weeks straight, I just couldn't take it anymore. His room made me anxious. We swapped out a toy shelf in Cam's room to store all of our Legos and that left no toy storage in Cam's room. Since we promised him he would get his room redecorated, I didn't want to invest in any cheap storage for his room.

Here is what his room looked like last week. Gasp!

I started painting on Saturday morning and Steve went to pick up the new bed. It was so sad to take down the nursery theme. Camden decided that he wanted a Batman Lego theme for his room. Changing out the light sage green for a slate grey was a step from Cam being my baby to Cam being my school age boy. Sniff.
Camden loves the "hide out" underneath the bed. Colin helped him decorate it with stuffed animals, pillows and push lights. Camden asked if he could sleep in his hide out last night. He decided right before bedtime that he wanted to sleep on top of his bed. That was probably a good idea.

As you might have guessed, the boxes that the bed came in were utilized for a fort. The boys were getting along so well this morning, I had to draw a line down the middle of the fort and claim sides for each child. Sounds a little like my own childhood.
We're not done painting Cam's room yet. I have all the paint ready for the Batman Lego project. Steve has to draw the characters on the wall since I am a challenged artist. That being said, I let the kids color on the lower half of the wall yesterday before I started painting. My only rule was that they could not color on the blue part of the wall, only on the green. I emphasized several times that I would be very upset if any crayon reached over the line. Guess what? Really, you can't guess?

Ha. Bet you were wrong. It was COLIN that colored over the line. I did not even have a chance to get really upset because he went into a complete tailspin. He was so upset with himself. It was a pretty big ordeal.

The second mishap of the day occurred when Camden managed to put the bottom of his foot up against a wall. Not really a big deal until you consider the fact that he did not realize that he had paint on his foot. He then proceeded to walk all around the room before he noticed. Super. So his carpet now comes with a few assorted shades of gray embedded into the fibers. At least it matches his walls. I could have screamed and yelled. But I have found that the only thing screaming accomplishes is me being really mad, the kids crying and I still have to clean up the mess. So, I just cut to the chase, cleaned up the mess and heaped an uber amount of guilt on the kids with this simple sentence, "I'm very disappointed in you." Ironically, that seems to do the trick.

I feel better now that Cam's room is at least organized. He's still not feeling 100% himself. He is still having trouble with his legs. I did take him to the Dr. on Friday for her to check him over. She ordered blood work which was a complete hour of sheer hell for me. He was absolutely freaked out about having blood drawn. The whole thing ended with me telling the nurse that unless he was willing to hold him down and use brute force, there would be no chance that he could get Cam's blood drawn that day or any other day. Cam either had to be held down or it was not going to happen. It took three of us to hold him while the nurse drew blood. It was an awful experience that I hope I never have to go through again.

Cam was exhausted yesterday and by the evening, was really complaining about his legs. I hope that the Dr. has a diagnosis and a solution to this on Monday because this grouchy kid is wearing on me. But, at least his room is organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment