Monday, February 14, 2011

What Valentine's Day Means to Me

Valentine's Day used to be a measure of flowers, candies and fancy dinners. It used to be me holding my breath at work in wonder if my guy would send me flowers so the whole office would know that I was special to someone. It used to be surprises and secrets and a little bit of stress to make the day "just right".

Valentine's Day has certainly changed over the years for me. It's not about stuff and expense. It's no longer about being a couple and holding secrets. It's about family. It's about being sweet to someone. It's about the little things. It's about putting a smile on someones face on a special day. It's not all about "me". It's not about what am I going to get?

Yes, I know I have a husband that loves me. Yes, I know my kids love me. I'm reassured everyday that the hugs and kisses will never run dry in this house. I am kissed a bazillion times a day by my kids and I wouldn't change it for anything. Colin was so sweet last night. He made all of us a homemade card. No prompting, just thoughtfulness. Cam made each of us an individual card last week. He couldn't wait for Valentine's day. He had to give them to us right that minute. Steve's gift this year was thoughtful and sweet. He really knocked it out of the ballpark.

But today, I will celebrate Valentine's Day in a different way. Today I will go out of my way to put a smile on someones face that I don't even know. Here's the plan. I will pick up some flowers and take them to a local nursing home. I know of a few in the area. At the front desk, I will ask that those flowers be given to a resident that does not have family close by. I will say a prayer for that person and keep them close to my heart by just knowing their name. Today I want to put a smile on a strangers face. I want someone that might not otherwise experience love, to get a chance at a minute of happiness.

I am so thankful that my sis lives close to my elderly grandmother. I know grandma is well taken care of and that she gets frequent visits from someone that loves her. But not everyone has family close. Today I will honor my sis and my grandma by reaching out to another that might just need a little pick me up.

Happy Valentine's Day. How will you make someone smile today? I'm off to the flower shop!

2 comments:

  1. You are AWESOME. And that's just one of the reasons I love you! I'm thankful to have a thoughtful friend like you, Traci. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angie. I get my inspiration from my friends!

    ReplyDelete